WHO: Highly energized and passionate individuals who want to do some rewarding work, give back to the community, and serve the mission of the American Red Cross.
WHAT: Red Cross Corps (RCC) is a National AmeriCorps program with a goal of building capacity to deliver Preparedness Education across the country. The Oklahoma City Chapter of the American Red Cross has two positions available to help us deliver services to underserved populations and military connected communities. Both positions will work together as a team under the direction of a program manager and will be working to help plan and coordinate three key lines of service:
Home Fire Campaign:
Six times a day in the United States, someone dies in a home fire. The American Red Cross aims to reduce the number of fire deaths and injuries by making a lasting and measureable impact on community preparedness and resiliency. There are three cornerstones to this effort:
1. Door-to-door installation of smoke alarms and completion of a home-safety checklist and plan in vulnerable neighborhoods;
2. Engagement of youth in classrooms and after school with technology, challenges, and science-based education; and
3. A marketing and public relations campaign to motivate people to take action to save themselves, their families and their neighbors by checking smoke alarms and practicing home evacuations.
The Pillowcase Project:
Is our signature youth preparedness program and is implemented in every Red Cross region. The Pillowcase Project is for children in grades 3-5 and teaches them about personal and family preparedness for local hazards and home fires. The Pillowcase Project curriculum is structured by three core principles: Learn, Practice and Share. Students will learn about hazards, how to prepare for emergencies, enhance coping skills, practice what they have learned and share their knowledge with friends and family. The program emphasizes the importance of practicing protective actions, developing an emergency communications plan, and practicing a home fire drill. The program also teaches students how to create their own emergency supplies kit by packing essential items in a pillowcase for easy transport during an emergency. Students will have the opportunity to decorate and personalize their pillowcases during the presentation, and are encouraged to take them home to create a kit.
Resiliency/Mental Health Education:
American Red Cross courses and workshops, such as Coping with Deployments and Reconnection Workshops, teach service members, veterans, and their families the tools and skills to help them become more resilient when facing the many challenges of military life.
WHEN: Members start on September 12, 2016 and serve 11 months, completing the program on August 11, 2017
WHERE: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
WHY: Red Cross Corps members will have a unique opportunity to impact their communities with life-saving preparedness education. By serving with the Red Cross, members are not only part of a national movement of service, but will also be connected to a humanitarian organization that strives to help people when they need it most!
* Living allowance up to $14,000 (taxable) for 11 months of service
* $5,775 Education Award. The Segal Education Award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay qualified student loans or for future education at eligible schools. National members age 55 and older at the time of service may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members. Learn more about the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
* Possible forbearance of qualified student loans. Note that interest continues to accrue. However accrued interest on qualified loans is eligible for payment by the National Service Trust.
* Health plan benefits. Members are eligible to enroll in an Affordable Care Act compliant health plan. * Childcare benefits if you qualify. Learn more about our childcare benefits.
Education: College Graduate
Skills: Teamwork, Writing/Editing, Community Organization, Leadership, Communications, Teaching/Tutoring, Public Speaking, Planning/Coordination
If you are interested in applying, please visit: Red Cross Corps – SAF Position Red Cross Corps – DCS Position
Alternatively go to: http://www.americorps.gov
Click “Join AmeriCorps” and search for positions in Oklahoma